Just one year ago, Tropical Storm Irene severely hit Connecticut and for so many the thought of that storm still lingered as a horrible memory. Many people by the shoreline took the warnings of Sandy very seriously. Homes were boarded and thousands of people evacuated.
Hurricane Sandy damaged houses, road ways and bridges. Almost a half million people were left with out power. Communities along the shore were hit the worst. Houses were flooded with enormous amounts of water, sand covered roads, boats were found in yards and even one a railroad track. I have never seen anything like this before. Some houses even caught on fire and burned, because trying to access them was impossible. The pictures from the news are just devastating.
We were the fortunate ones, our home had just a few minor things to clean up and tend to. I'm so grateful- we had power the entire too. As I sit here, I feel a deep sense of wanting to help my fellow communities. Today, the governor asked people to make donations, time or money. The Red Cross is asking people to donate blood because they need it badly. So today, I'm giving blood at the Red Cross, it's a very small way to give back, but it's something. I know by giving blood I am helping someone.
Thousands of people were effected by Hurricane Sandy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families (and their pets) who are trying to make sense of all the damages left to clean up. And to all the hardworking crews of people helping to restore power and the communities for working together to cleanup. My prayers are with you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment