Saturday, September 8, 2012

Memories of Language Arts...

So here we are....Let's talk about language arts.  When I was young, reading and writing was something I did not enjoy. I would go as far as to say I dreaded it. Reading was difficult for me, from decoding words, comprehension to writing. So it goes with out saying- I didn't find enjoyment in reading.  It was embarrassing when I couldn't pronounce a word with a 'r' or 's' in them, or when I had to retell parts of a story I literally just heard but couldn't even remember the character names. 

Today, I can spend hours reading a good book.  I can understand text better and even can say words with a 'r' or 's' in them! (But still every now and then I fumble the pronunciation and yes it's still embarrassing!)  I learned somethings do get better with time, practice, patience and hard work. - like reading.  Although I have had difficulties in the past with language arts I believe it will make me a better teacher to students who struggle who need that extra bit of help.  I think I can relate to them and even reassure them that in time with practice, patient, and a little bit of hard work they too will find language arts a deeply satisfying and rewarding experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment